Field Operations Assistant
Posted: July 24, 2020
NOTICE OF IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTNITY
Saugeen Conservation invites applicants for the contract position of Field Operations Assistant.
This position involves assisting the Field Operations Coordinator in field related construction, repair, maintenance, grass cutting and development projects. This individual will report to the Field Operations Coordinator. This individual will be working out of the Sulphur Spring Conservation Area.
- Assists the Field Operations Coordinator with their duties and fills in for them in their absence
- Performs day-to-day maintenance activities on flood and erosion control structures and properties owned by the Authority (i.e. Slope grass cutting, dam maintenance, etc.)
- Assists Field Operations Coordinator in all aspects of maintaining conservation areas
- Assists with forestry projects at the direction of the Manager of Forestry and Lands
- General building and facilities maintenance
- Assist in the maintenance of small drinking water systems
- Assist in the installation and removal of stoplogs and flash boards in Authority-owned dams and ensures the operational readiness of special features used on other water control structures
- Assists with field operations during flood events
- Assists with snow removal and winter maintenance
- Responsible to work safely in compliance with all SVCA Health & Safety Policies
- Ensure that all employees under his/her supervision works safely in compliance with all SVCA Health & Safety Policies
- Other duties as assigned appropriate to the responsibilities of the position
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of equipment (e.g. backhoe, commercial lawn mower, snowmobile, ATV, farm tractor) and small tools
- Practical knowledge and application of general construction activities including carpentry, plumbing, concrete work, and shop experience
- Ability to supervise and direct the daily activities of any staff assigned in a responsible manner
- Must be able to undertake field work as required under varying terrain and weather conditions
- Demonstrate tact and good judgment in dealing with other staff and the public
- Basic knowledge of legislation and internal policies and procedures related to the workplace environment
- Valid Ontario driver’s license is required
- Willing to achieve Chainsaw Operator Certificate, Operation of Small Drinking Water Systems Certification, driver’s license Class A with Air Brake Endorsement
The Field Operations Assistant must be willing to work weekends. Salary: $25.73/ hour, 40 hours/ week
Please email a cover letter and resume prior to August 11, to Donna Lacey, Manager of Forestry and Lands, firstname.lastname@example.org
Saugeen Conservation is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.