Field Operations Assistant
Posted: April 6, 2021
NOTICE OF EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Closing Date: April 19, 2021
Saugeen Conservation invites applicants for the full-time, permanent position of Field Operations Assistant. This position will report to the Field Operations Coordinator and will be based out of Sulphur Spring Conservation Area. As the Field Operations Assistant, you will provide support to the Field Operations Coordinator in field related construction, repair, maintenance, grass cutting and development projects.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of equipment (e.g. backhoe, commercial lawn mower, snowmobile, ATV, farm tractor) and small tools.
- Practical knowledge and application of general construction activities including carpentry, plumbing, concrete work, and shop experience.
- Ability to supervise and direct the daily activities of any staff assigned in a responsible manner.
- Must be able to undertake field work as required under varying terrain and weather conditions.
- Demonstrate tact and good judgment in dealing with other staff and the public.
- Basic knowledge of legislation and internal policies and procedures related to the workplace.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License – Class G.
- You have proven interpersonal and stakeholder relations skills to liaise, communicate, negotiate, and facilitate partnerships and teamwork.
- Willing to achieve Chainsaw Operator Certificate, Operation of Small Drinking Water Systems Certification, Driver’s License Class A with Air Brake Endorsement Certification.
- Assists the Field Operations Coordinator with their duties and fills in for them in their absence.
- Performs day-to-day maintenance activities on water and erosion control structures and properties owned by the Authority (i.e., slope grass cutting, dam maintenance, etc.). - Assists Field Operations Coordinator in all aspects of maintaining conservation areas.
- Provides support to forestry projects at the direction of the Manager of Forestry and Lands.
- Completes general building and facilities maintenance.
- Helps in the maintenance of small drinking water systems owned and operated by the Authority.
- Assists in the installation and removal of stoplogs and flash boards at Authority-owned dams and ensures the operational readiness of special features used at other water control structures.
- Assists with field operations during flood events. - Assists with snow removal and winter maintenance.
- Responsible to work safely in compliance with all SVCA Health & Safety Policies.
- Ensures that all employees under his/her supervision works safely in compliance with all SVCA Health & Safety Policies.
- Other duties as assigned appropriate to the responsibilities of the position.
- The Field Operations Assistant must be willing to work weekends.
Wage and Benefits:
- $55,193 - $65,394 (40 hours/week) + Benefits
Please submit your cover letter and resumé outlining how your experience meets the necessary eligibility requirements to:
Donna Lacey, Manager, Forestry and Lands
Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority
1078 Bruce Road 12, P.O. Box 150, Formosa, ON
Email is the preferred submission method. Submit your cover letter and resume as one .pdf document. Document file name andemail subject line should be your name followed by _FIELDASSIST2021 (EG. DonnaLacey_FIELDASSIST2021.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Late applications will not be considered.
SVCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), SVCA will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform SVCA Administrative Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org). All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).